Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live on my daughter's private property in my caravan and…

Customer Question
Hi pearl I live...

Hi pearl I live on my daughter's private property in my caravan and I've just been informed by council that it is illegal I have no other alternative accommodation and I was wondering if there is any legal way that I could get an extension to stay here because of my mental state and my physical disabilities thank you Julie

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Gold Coast Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

We've received a letter from council and I required to vacate the premises by tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No can't think of anything

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/19/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Have they issued you with a notice to vacate?

When is the date they have given you?

I have to vacate by tomorrow and have no where to go

Good Morning

Does it say if you do not vacate that they will get an order form the court?

No just fines
Are there any exemptions to there rules for a permit in regards ***** ***** health and financial situation cause as of tomorrow I'm living in my car

They will not evict you tomorrow but they will fine you do not vacate.

If you want to fight the fine you have to take it to court.

I would suggest you contact them and request more time and explain the issues so that you can extend the time.

You do not have to leave, but they will fine you unless you get an extension.

Make sure that you set out out everything and create a detailed statement before you call and then get the name of the person that you speak to and confirm the conversation and send your statement to them.

The more you give them now the better As you can use it if they do issue a fine and you wish to fight the fine in court.

I would also suggest in your statement you give them a full breakdown of your financial situation including how much money you have in the bank what your income is and also what your expenses are.

You also make sure that you set out what enquiries you have made finding alternative accommodation.

At worst they will ignore it and issue the fine, but they will not attend and have you removed.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards