Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is it possible to see my granddaughter as my son and his…

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to see my granddaughter as my son and his wife don’t want my husband and I to see her we have done nothing wrong and are heart broken. We have given him a wonderful life and educated him but we’re not happy with his choice. But, we did everything even gave them a beautiful wrdding etc

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No just got a shock on Sunday at carindale shopping centre whilst having a coffee he just had her on his hip looked at us and kept walking

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was a lawyer and is in real estate now and hasn’t spoken to us for three yests

Is there any way we can get visitation rights?
Can anyone help us or is it too early
JA are you still there?
When do we get connected with the solicitor
3/19/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

The simple answer is yes.

The law recognises grandparents as having a right to seek orders for children but you have to fillow the same processes as the parents.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court

http://www.familycourt.gov.au and http://www.federalcircuitcourt.gov.au

So you have to get the process started.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor