Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

On. 5 march we hired a rental car from easyrent cars for 36…

Customer Question
On. 5 march we...

On. 5 march we hired a rental car from easyrent cars for 36 days.We were dismayed to see it was quite old and not as presteen as expected .Neverthe less we took it with a max mileage of 7200 km.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

After 11 days we returned it , complaining that it was very sluggish , had backfired, and pulled to the right.On returning the cat we asked for a refund. We were told the firm would contact us . They did not so we emailed them asking for a refund for the outstanding dates.We then received an email today saying we would not get one as the terms and conditions said early hand ins did not get a refund. what can we do we are in melbourne

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

See above answer ie emailed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They say nothing wrong with the car

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/19/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first.

We will try the first option first..
How long do we allow for them to respond to a second email?
And when you say local tribunal who would that be?

allow 7 days.

depending on the state you are in that would be QLD = QCAT, NSW = NCAT, VIC = VCAT, SA, SCAT, WA = SAT.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.