Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Are you located in Australia? Victoria. I owe Debt collector…

Customer Question
Hi, yes, are you...

Hi, yes, are you located in Australia?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Australian lawyer about this?

Yes Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I owe Debt collector $32K as per judgment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Was paying regularly and had problem s

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/19/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

have you considered into into a debt arrangement ?

Hi, yes I tried payment plans with them and when I was in financial hardship I advised and they wouldn’t have any of it.
Then I have received an attachment of earnings order
an affidavit re attachment of earnings

ok.

the next option is you can attempt a one time settlement.

how this works is that if you offer them party say 20 cents in the dollar due and if it is not accepted you will file for bankruptcy.

then if that happens nobody gets anything.

this option needs to be carefully managed.

what do you think ?

I also tried to offer them full payment by July 4 this year and still make regular payments til I can make a lump sum payment to clear it and they won’t accept

ok

thats really good too.

but if they are not accepting that position then what about the proposed above ?

Bankruptcy not an option as I can pay them in full but not right now, in a couple of months time but they won’t accept and will continue the court hearing next week
When I spoke to a financial counsellor they tried to make an offer but they said no also

ok

do you have a lawyer acting on your behalf, as this will change the dynamics on settling the matter.

No I don’t can’t afford one now

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone about this important matter, please look, it will help you.

Hi, I can’t talk right now, have kids running around and partner home soon

there are solutions to your important matter but it will require careful negotiation.

you can accept the offer and call me when you are free if you need.

Ok, when you say careful negotiation does that mean still going to court next week and having a legal representative?
I want to get shut of this as my health is suffering due to the stress.
I’m willing to pay the debt but just need time to pay in full.

you can stop the court proceedings, but it will require you to enter into a deed of settlement which will need to take into account the total situation of all finances. Again it comes down to the negotiating point with the plaintiff.

I don’t think they are open to anything
Tried numerous times

I am here to help you, but settling before the court hearing is complex and I invite you to accept the services when you can.

I’m ok with attachment of earnings as it’ll only be for a couple of months
It won’t get worse than that in court?

to stop the proceedings you need to have a deed of settlement in place beforehand.

Ok but what are the legal fees going to cost me to do this?

have a look at the phone call offer and I will provide you information you need over the phone when you have time.

Ok

thank you

if you need any further information please let me know

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.