John Melis, Lawyer
Experience:  Family Law, Commerical Law, Property law, Probate & Wills, Employment Law, International Law, Criminal and Traffic Law, Litigation Tribunal & Courts
99270703

My local council has issued me with an $252 Infringement

Customer Question

My local council has issued me with an $252 Infringement Notice for failing to renew my dogs registration of $38.50 pa which was due Sept 2017 - I had paid the previous 3 years on time - I did not receive the Renewal Notice & Reminder Notice they said were issued - it was an honest mistake & do not mind paying a small fine but a fine of over six times the registration fee is an overkill & most unfair - what do you think. Diana
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Queensland - Noosa Shire & no I have not sought any other legal advice
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No - only just received Infringement Notice
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Always paid rates etc on time
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

if this is the first time you have had such notice the council will assist you reviewing the penalty,

you will need to send a formal notice to the council expplaining what occured.

the mailing system in Australia by normal post is questionable at times and you can raise that as a defence on the situation.

would you like to try this option ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The Council has a form on their website for ‘Withdrawal of Infringement Notice’ which I will fill out & send

ok, this is a good way too.

if you need further information please let me know

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am unable to speak by phone & Cannot afford to spend any more

that's ok

we can chat in this forum as long as you need without charge to you