Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son has just left employment for a new job giving full…

My son has just...

My son has just left employment for a new job giving full notice of intention to leave after 5 years employment and completing a trade course in welding fabricating. On day of leaving he has been told he is not entitled to a reference of any kind, as they dont give them and there is some discrepancy as to the amount of super owed but not paid to him. The company say they are going through an audit so they cannot help at the moment this has happened to other members of staff in the past, advise on next move as i wish to call in to speak to them on this matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

This was discussed with a manager of the company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

No union and on salary

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

None thank you Pearl

3/19/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Hi John just to let you know we are in Brisbane Qld i look forward to your reply.
Regards ***** *****

all your son needs to do is notify the ATO and they will commence an investiagtion into the company in relation to the super than is unpaid.

the ATO is very forceful on these matters to protect the employee.

your son will get his super due.

does this answer your important question today ?

you son can use the following link:

https://www.ato.gov.au/calculators-and-tools/report-unpaid-super-contributions-from-my-employer/

If you need any further information please let me know

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

Hi John there is still the question of not giving a reference saying they dont give them?.

the employer in today's society is not legally required to give a written reference of employment.

John Melis, Lawyer
Many thanks. 5 stars

you are most welcome