Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son is an apprentice mechanic in Emerald Qld. Last Monday…

Customer Question
Hi. My son is...

Hi. My son is an apprentice mechanic in Emerald Qld. Last Monday they had random drug testing at his workplace. He failed the testing and was placed on 2 weeks unpaid leave.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the drug test discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

He went to the Dr surgery that same day and had a controlled drug test that came back negative. His employer has refused to accept this test and advised that he is on 2 week compulsory unpaid leave.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will. hourly - full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The testing conducted was not a controlled test and there are known issues with this mobile testing unit giving other false positive tests.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/19/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

this may be a form of bullying conduct, have you considered this aspect ?

I am just wondering if they can do this? Place him on unpaid leave even when he received a negative test result the same day.

the employer should be assisting the employe not placing them on unpaid leave

you may have a claim of bullying here.

would you like to consider this option ?

I am just wondering if legally the employer is able to do this? When the first test was a false positive and he has a test from the doctor surgery same day clearing him

the employer cannot suspend him this ground.

you can raise a valid argument back under the Fair Work Act.

the employee will be protected in this circumstance by the Act

does this answer your important question today ?

Thank you.

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

is there a specific circumstance in the act to refer to?

you only need to refer to the Fair Work Act as that alone will place the employer on notice

great thank you.

you are most welcome

great thank you. I will go to the employer now.

you are welcome

Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Do you need any further help ?