Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I work for a construction company and have encountered an…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a construction company and have encountered an incident where the Developer had opened and set up new accounts under the Builders name without the Builders authorisation.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The Developer is now refusing to communicate with the Builder and acknowledge the fraud VIC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

So far, we have made several failed attempts to contact the developer. I have contact the energy retailer, who has sent through the original application forms confirming the forged signatures and and placed the accounts on hold

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This developer has also forged cheques, though I will be taking this up with the police today

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/18/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

do you have the supporting evidence for this incident ?

Regarding the application to services accounts tied in with the Development, the Builder is only obligated to make the necessary connections and the Developer listed as the account holder and responsible for charges. The Developer opened the accounts under the Builders name and forged the Builders signature on the applications. I had the service provider email the handwritten applications through. At this stage, I have only the Gas accounts but still waiting for the Electric to arrive.
I also have forged cheques, copies forwarded from the bank.

if you have forged cheques, this will be sufficient to raise a claim of fraud.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone, please look, it will help you.

The signature he used on all the documents have been copied from an old signature featured on the Builders drivers license, which has since evolved to look different. We know where he copied the signature from.

on the basis that you hold the cheques this will be sufficient to raise a claim of fraud

I have already contacted a solicitor regarding the fraudulent cheques. I am visiting the police station today to make a report regarding the cheques, however I would like the accounts to be transferred over to the Developer's name and was told to contact the OMBUSDMAN. I would like advice on how to move forward with this issue.The account is placed on hold with the retailer, though I would like to know what would be the next step.
I was transferred to this chat as I thought this would lead me to an application
Or this chat only for legal advice?

You are speaking with a lawyer.

Where you want to raise a claim of fraud you may bring a claim under the Crimes Act 1958, under sections 82, Obtaining financial advantage by deception, section 83 False Accounting, section 83A Falsification of documents, and section 85 False statements by company directors.

does this answer your important question today ?

Not quite, I think I was misdirected. I have already received legal advice and only wanted to lodge a complaint through the ombudsman. and wanted information on procedure, so that I may inform the retailers and possibly extend the hold on the account. ..

yes you can lodge a complaint through the financial services ombudsman, also ACCC and Consumer Affairs, however you need to be careful to avoid a counter claim of defamation being raised.

Thank you for your time, however I believe I was misdirected.

Have I answered your question today ?

Not quite.

do you want me to write a letter for you of complaint ?

No thank you. I think I would like to end the chat

ok