Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My daughter (17, 18 in a few days) has been threatened

Hi, my daughter (17...

Hi, my daughter (17, 18 in a few days) has been threatened personally via Facebook by a bouncer of our local Nightclub, that she ‘will be kicked out if she starts s##t’ with his girlfriend. He stated that he has posted her picture in the staff Facebook page, stating that if she starts s##t to throw her out. My daughter is turning 18 next weekend and looking forward to going to the Club. She has never stated or threatened to ‘start’ anything and is feeling targeted and threatened by his statements (made direct to her via FB). Can you please advise our legal rights? She just wants her first outing to the club to be enjoyable and to not be targeted.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Oregon family court?

Ummm no we are in Australia...:/

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Western Australia.....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all just our rights

3/18/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

If she has been threatened with any harm she can report this to the police.

If it is simply a warning there is very little that can be done.

They have a right to have anyone removed that causes problems as the law allow this.

But if it is a clear threat of harm against her then she can take out an intervention order against this person and also report him to the owner of the club.

But the laws give the owners alot of power to have people removed form venues.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Hi, my daughter made no comment to anyone regarding ‘starting trouble’ she is just wanting to celebrate her 18th at the local night club with friends. She was privately messaged through Facebook by a bouncer from the club, the boyfriend of the girl who has a grudge against my daughter, stating that she would be kicked out if she started trouble and that he would post her photo on the clubs internal FB staff page telling them to watch out for her. My daughter feels targeted for no reason and harassed by being personally messaged and threatened to be kicked out of the club when she has never even been there yet. It seems the bouncer is using his position as bouncer to target and threaten my daughter as his girlfriend has a personal grudge with my daughter. My daughter has never set foot in the club or threatened to ‘start trouble’. She is now highly anxious to the point of tears and fears she will be targeted at the club. Surely you cannot privately message someone if you are a bouncer to threaten they will be kicked out if you upset his girlfriend with no basis whatsoever, if you have never even set foot in the venue, other than rumour and the fact his girlfriend doesn’t like her. It’s a threat, abuse of his power and defaming her online. My daughter is experiencing great anxiety as a result of his targeted actions.

Good Morning

She needs to report this to the owner of the club.

It is a matter where she can try and take out an intervention order but it will have to be a private one.

You cannot stop him messaging without an order.

If he continues then she has a right to have one issued.

Defamation is if they spread it to others that affect their reputation.

I hope this assists with your last question.

I appreciate the law supports people being thrown out of venues for disorderly or inappropriate conduct and respect that. My daughter however has never stepped foot in there. How can a person privately message and threaten her with no basis? To the point of causing her undue stress and anxiety. Understandably if trouble were to begin in the venue they have a right to act however unprovoked and personal threats by a bouncer to my daughter surely cannot be legal.
She feels intimidated
What’s an intervention order?

In WA they are Restraining orders

http://www.magistratescourt.wa.gov.au/r/restraining_orders.aspx

he stated in a message that he has told all the other bouncers to watch out for her as she is planning on starting trouble and said that if he finds out when she is going to the club that he will post her photo on the clubs Facebook page - implying that they will look out for her
Would a restraining order prevent her from attending the club as it’s his place of work?

Your daughter needs to have evidence they others know for a defamation claim.

Ok, how about the restraining order query?So he can threaten defamation and that’s legal?
can you please advise the best approach with the club owner?
Hi are you reviewing my questions or is that it...?

Good Morning

My apology for the delay

If you can show that the others are also treating your daughter differently and they are prepared to give evidence to what they were told and it is not true she has a case for defamation.

But she needs to evidence form them.

You and your daughter need to contact the owner before the night and ask for a meeting face to face.

Do not do it on the phone.

You show him the text that he has sent and work with him to see what can be done.

I hope this is clearer.

Ok thanks

All the best and good luck

Please do not forget to rate my work 5 stars so I can be paid and continue providing my service.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor