Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son hired a contactor to shift his digger. This

Customer Question
My son hired a...

My son hired a contactor to shift his digger. This contractor subsequently wrote the digger off going under a bridge. My son did not have insurance on the digger and it turned out the contractor was not covered for carrying machinery that was not his own.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

He has approached the contractor who accepted his responsibility for the accident but now since he found out his insurance did not cover it does not want anything to do with it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son has texts from the contractor requesting the payment before commencing the transportation

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/18/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

there are two options your son can bring a civil claim in QCAT for the loss, or in the local court for breach of contract for duty of care.

the local court will be able to allow your son to claim legal costs as well

has your son been able to quantify the loss in dollar terms yet ?