Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex wife and fellow director of a company I am the sole…

Customer Question
My ex wife and...

My ex wife and fellow director of a company I am the sole shareholder of has changed the password ***** an email account used for personal and private correspondence for 7 years. She has now accessed that account. Do I have legal recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have asked her to return control of the account to me several times. She has ignored this. My lawyers sent a letter of demand which she ignored. They don’t seem to have any more ideas.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/17/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Ok thanks

you may have a claim of oppressive conduct by a director

have you considered this option yet ?

No
1. Can you tell me more.2. Is this not theft. Can I not bring charges against her?

under the corporations act where one director is oppressive against another director or shareholder, that director can be held accountable for any losses incurred by the company as a result of their actions.

are there any director agreements ?

Just the standard ones
Nothing beyond that.

there will be no argument for theft of contents at this time, unless it can be proved that the information used or taken was not done so in the company's best interest.

there are remedies for the director that has been locked out which is to commence proceedings in the Supreme Court to see orders for release of information or restrain one director from acting negatively against the other director.

would you like to consider this aspect ?

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone, please look, it will help you if you need