Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My fantastic furniture $600 recliner is only 12 months old.

My fantastic furniture $600...

My fantastic furniture $600 recliner is only 12 months old. The mechanism on it has always been stiff & difficult 2 work. Now it has broken completely. My husband says a small piece of plastic has snapped off. We are both in our early 50's & the recliner is only used in the evening. Can i have it fixed? or replaced? It is in pristine condition.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

It broke last night so we think we will go into the Bendigo Fantastic furniture store 2morrow or Monday. I have all my receipts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Am concerned we will be told this is damage we have caused from incorrect use when in fact it has been a tight mechanism from delivery date. We bought 2 recliners & the other one much easier to adjust..

3/17/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

you may be able to raise a claim under the Australian Consumer Law in respect to fit fir purpose of the goods.

I recommend that you you first negotiate with the seller.

if they refuse then next step is to issue a formal complaint

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first.

sounds a good plan..will see how we go. Have never dealt with Fantastic Furniture before my purchase so hope outcome is satisfactory. Thankyou...

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer