Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a question about custody rights. I am about to end a…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a question about custody rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I am about to end a relationship in which we have an almost 3 year old. I also have an older son who is living in NSW with his grandmother because of his relationship with my (soon to be ex) partner. I am originally from NSW and only moved myself and my son here right before our daughter was born to be with him. I have no support here what so ever and wish to move back to NSW, but he is saying he wants 50/50 rights with her which would mean that I would be stuck here in a state without any family or friends, completely isolated. I want to know what rights I have in this matter and how I can get away and be supported by family and friends. I will not give up my daughter!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, I am seeking help right now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/17/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Thank you

under the Family Law Act both parents have legal rights to joint parenting matters, this can mean 50/50 on decisions about the well-being of the children.

as far as visitation rights are concerned as you are the full time carer of the children you have a legal right to ensure that the children a in safe and stable environment.

if this means relocating to another area that you will be able to do this.

when this occurs a parenting plan can be put in place to set times the father may see his child, whether it be on the weekends or other days that are agreed upon.

you as full time carer will have the rights to direct the best interest of the child.

does this answer your important question today ?

how would that work if I moved back to nsw and he was living here in SA. (He has 2 other young daughters)

there would have to be a mutual agreed time of visitation.

this is where discussion between the parties, directly or through their lawyer's needs to occur to fix a time for this to be set.

the law will protect you as the full time carer.

have I answered your question today

How do I move to nsw while he is in sa and still share custody?
It is 3 days travel!

this will be where the parties need to agree on a mutual time, such a set weekend, and the parent will need to travel to NSW or the child travels under supervision to that parent.

this is not a easy process but many families do manage this arrangement for the best interest of the children and the parents involved.

does this help with your question today ?