Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I'm currently staying in sharing house which is a girl

Customer Question
Hi, I'm currently staying...

Hi, I'm currently staying in sharing house which is a girl accommodation near Curtin. One of the tenants, Seema often bring guys to enter our home, almost everyday. I feel extremely uncomfortable due to the high pitch noises of laughing and talking coming from them. Me with other tenants proposed a suggestion to her several times where she should give an early notice if she is bringing her friends, especially when all her friends she brought home are men. At least inform us 6 hours -12 hours earlier, or before the day her friends coming. However, she argued by saying that informing us 1 hour before her friends' visit is still considered informing us. Sometimes, we are not being informed about the guests and causes trouble in our daily lives. She said that we hav no right to know about when her guys friends come and left, as she had pay for the rental. In our agreement stated that all the visitor should leave the home before11pm. We found out that many times, her male friends didn’t leave our house before 11 pm, as we witnessed this situation several times. However, she never admits this. Other tenants told me that there were cases where she invited her guy friends to use their sharing toilet for bathing purposes. This situation is making us feeling inappropriate for a women hostel. She is not taking care of the cleanliness in kitchen too. She never cleanup her stuff after cooking, and dumped everything in the sink every day. This situation is getting worse when her male friends come, as she will cook for them and again, she left the kitchen in an even messier condition. A rat appeared in the kitchen last week and it accidentally entered the bathroom. After the incident, we did warn her to keep the kitchen clean but she refused to listen and still acting stubborn. She shirks the responsibility by blaming others for not cleaning it up. Although there are cleaners coming fortnightly, it still does not help much as she can make it dirty again within seconds. I am completely helpless and I can not endure the problem for a moment longer. We tried our best to communicate with her but it never really reaches her. She said that it is her right to ask her male friends to stay in her room without informing us because she pays the rent to her own room. This situation exists almost close to one year, we had reported to our agency severe times but they did not take any action, we don't even get a single reply from our agent. What should I do for now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Professional Backhouse

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes, keep the kitchen clean, no visitor after 11pm, no allow visitor to stay in our home and visitor not allow to use the bathroom too.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We wish to make a complaint about our agent and the tenants, but we have no idea on the progress.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
3/16/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

what you need to is among the tenants is to have meeting and set some rule that need to be abide formally. These rule\s should then be signed off by all parties. If a parties does not follow these rules that party who did not follow can be voted out of the accommodation.

in regards ***** ***** agent for the property, unless they under the lease have a direct input into the living rules, then the agent will hold no authority.

the main answer to your issue is to manage the situation directly with strong bylaws being implemented and agreed upon by all tenants.

does this answer your question today ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, John, thanks for advice. We set some rules before but she never obey. 4 of the tenants agreed but she is the only one who rejects the rules. She had break the laws but the agent did not take any action.

the other 4 tenants can evict the one person who is not obeying the rules, out of the property, under the Tenancy legislation.

have you considered this option ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we did. But the agent no taking any action

ok your next step is to raise a formal complaint in the residential tribunal of the state.

which state are you in ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perth, Bentley

ok, thanks

the tribunal you need to raise the claim is called SAT.

www.sat.justice.wa.gov.au

You lodge your claim under the te***** *****st.

Have I answered your question today ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
May i know how to use it? What document I need to support in?

i have an easier option for you

complete a dispute application with http://www.tenancywa.org.au/

this organisation will mediate the situation between all tenants in order to find a common ground to fix the issue or help the non performing tenant to leave the premises under the mediation process.
you just need to complete their online application form
does this answer your important question today ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
John, I got the application form. Just for another question, in this situation, can I move out from the house? Because I few unsafe in this home now. The tenant called agent today and her agent said that we have no right to set any house rules to expect the agent and owner of the house. But the agent and house owner didn't take any action. I feel so uncomfortable. Yet, she said that start from now she will bring even more guys to enter our home because she feel the property agent is supporting her.
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor