Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Afternoon, I was contracted to by MSS (Maintenance Services…

Customer Question
Afternoon, I was...

Afternoon, I was contracted to by MSS (Maintenance Services Solutions) in Canberra to a position with Thiese-Krupp in Mareeba on a FiFo basis on a six month contract. Three weeks on and one week off. After the first three weeks when I was leaving to take my break of one week I was told not to come back.. I was given no warning and no notice. I feel I should have been given a period of notice and also feel I am entitled to that period of pay in lier. My position was Electrical Engineer and my rate was $85/hour. Can you please advise.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Sorry I did not give my name, hit the enter too quickly. I have spoken to a representative of MSS who apologised and said they would try to find me another position.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes I do belong to a union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The people in Mareeba only told MSS that I was no a "good fit".

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/16/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

Was this in the first three weeks of your employment?

Good Afternoon

I am sorry to hear about this but you have very few rights here.

I assume the contract has a probationary period?

Does it say anything about termination without notice in the probationary period?

Good afternoon Leon;, Marc here. It is not convenient for me to call at this time. I will contact you again when it is. How should I do that. I don't think it did but I do not have it in front of me now. When I get home I will read it thoroughly.

You can elect a call Mark and I am happy to call you.
it is a further fee but we can have a more in depth conversation about the situation.