Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I live in the ACT.I had a herringbone floor in May 2016

Customer Question
Hi Deborah, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Hi Deborah,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in the ACT.I had a herringbone floor laid in May 2016 shortly after it started to buckle and in some areas lifted. my insurance company found no leaks and refused a claim

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Sorry i pushed send before I finished typing ... i will continue.so my floor layer insisted I had a leak some where as testing with a moisture detector showed different levels of moisture. lots of people had opinions most felt that my floor layer was responsible. I had my plumber search for a leak and I had the gyprock in my bedroom lifted off the wall to examine the back of an ensuite I had for my husband ( he is disabled and this was areno five yrs ago. ) the builder that built it inspected through the cavity and found nothing. my floor layer still insits I have a leak I am at my wits end as I cannot find any indication that I have nowater rings no smell no mould we have been in this house 37 yrs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My floor man will not respond to calls or email or test

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Australia Law
3/15/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 1 month ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

It appears that the floor is faulty.

Have you had an expert advise possible causes for the buckles?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had plumbers look for leaks and a builder no one can find a water problem the main response is the timber was not seasoned properly. I have this morning contacted the Timber floor assoc to get an expert opinion . I will get his opinion and go from there thankyou very much.

You need an independent report to confirm the cause. If the timber is the issue then you can get it replaced under the Australian Consumer Laws as it is faulty.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks Leon I do not want to spend money on advice at this stage I want to gather all my facts together and proceed
I thought I was getting a free trial but then I was asked to pay $100 ?
now to pay for a phone call ? I am confused I don"t want more stress .
I will reques you get a refund.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you I would appreciate it. The website said it was a refundable deposit all very odd for a free trial!
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor