Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex husband and I have separated. He has said I can have…

My ex husband and...

My ex husband and I have separated . He has said I can have the house along with the whole mortgage attached . If I was to do this and consider it , how do I take his name of the title ?? thsnk you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wa

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Non this is the first step . He had been paying the house but yesterday was the first day he had child support taken which was lodged on the 1st of dec 2017 and he has cracked it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this stage as I have no idea where to start and my ex husband just wants me to handle all the debt and he walk away free

3/15/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

the best way to protect yourself is to commence formal financial separation proceedings

have you considered this step yet ?

No not yet

ok

financial separation involves the following on both an amicable basis and through the courts.

Where the court makes alteration of property interests under section 79 of the Family Law Act 1975, the court will usually take into account four facts. [1] The court will assess the extent of the property of the parties and determine its value. [2] The court will consider what contributions have been made by the parties, including direct and indirect contributions of a financial character and non-financial character, and contributions to the welfare of the family, including contributions as homemaker and parent. [3] The court will consider the circumstances which relate to the present and future needs of the parties and to their means, resources and earning capacity, actual and potential. [4] The court will consider the effects of points 1 to 3 and resolve what order is just and equitable in all the circumstances of the particular case. Alteration of property interests between separating couples is an emotional and stressful process and seeking help early is important.

does this answer your question today ?

thank you

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

Thank you

you are welcome

John Melis, Lawyer