Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Origin Energy have listed me as having defaulted on a bill.

Hello Pearl. Origin Energy...

Hello Pearl. Origin Energy have listed me as having defaulted on a bill. This bill relates to the connection of power to a rental property belonging to my husband for a short period of time whilst he carried out repairs and maintenance. As we had multiple accounts coming in for Origin at the time, I did not realise that I had not receive any account for that property. I have only found out about this account yesterday as I was investigating possible finance for a new car. I have immediately contacted Origin and the account is now paid. The problem is that when they set up this particular account they listed my address as an address that I had not lived at for almost 5 years. Consequently, I have never received any notification of an outstanding account from Origin even though throughout this time we have had electricity, gas and hot water accounts with Origin which were all being received at our current address. Origin have advised that even though they have made a mistake in not getting my details right, this is still a valid default. Could you give me your opinion on this matter please.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

I am in Queensland and I haven't been in contact with any other authority to seek advocacy.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have contacted Origin immediately I found out about this. I have immediately paid the account (this all happened yesterday) and I have requested that they remove the default from my credit record.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Origin did mention that they had no other way of contacting me as they didn't have my phone number or email address. I pointed out to them that they should have taken this information at the time of me setting up the account.

3/15/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

did you issue a written complaint yet ?

No I have not.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first.

I want to pursue this and I understand that this will take some time however, in the meantime I'm left without a car as I can't get finance to purchase the car I have signed a contract on.
I would be happy to speak with you on the phone however having spent over 21/2 hours on the phone with Origin yesterday, I have used up my call allowance for the month.

the law will protect you
so send that first complaint in writing as explained above

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

.

Thank you.

you are welcome

John Melis, Lawyer