Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I placed a house insurance claim with APIA back in December…

Customer Question
I placed a house...

I placed a house insurance claim with APIA back in December 2017. We had apparently had a rat chew through a pipe in the ceiling, that soaked through the insulation and wet the plaster which fell onto our spare bed. While the plasterer was here he saw that the carpet was wet and mould was growing underneath. Further investigation found another pipe in the base wall in the same room also had a minor leak, that according to the plumber had been leaking for "a long time".

Lawyer's Assistant: What state/territory are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

VICTORIA pia are trying

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The ceiling was reaired 2 weeks ago, and APIA are trying to say that they had to cut our carpet in half, due to the mould underneath and now we have to pay another $500 for a separate claim to have tge new damage repaired.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't feel there are any grounds for a new claim as the old claim had not been completed until the building groups report was submitted today. We are now left with a gaping hole in the plaster wall and half a room of carpet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/15/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

did you issue a formal complaint yet ?

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Preferrably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first.

I will start this process today. Thank you for your advice. It has been an extremely frustrating procedure, never having made a claim on insurance before, I would have thought it would have been resolved months ago.

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

.

I appear to have had one withdrawal for 5 dollars from my account, then a second withdrawal for 77 dollars. Please tell me this is a mistake.

I will ask support to look into this for you and they will attend to the matter