Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My brother has just passed away and we need help with the…

My brother has just...

My brother has just passed away and we need help with the funeral costs he has approx $1000 but needs a furhter $2,300 and I cannot help as I only receive the pension myself. Please let me know what I can do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

New South Wales

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The Opal Nora Head had notified me this morning and they have suggested I call you - I have NO supporting evidence at this stage

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What are my options r how can Centrelink help with the funeral

3/15/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

Centrelink does offer a Bereavement payment

You can make an application to them. The following link gives you details about the payment.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/bereavement-payment

The only issue is that you must be on a government benefit. From your question it appears that is the case.

I would suggest you contact them and also speak to the funeral directors to ascertain if they are prepared to wait for their payment.

If you son had superannuation you may be able to get a release from them as well.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

I rate five stars -

Good Morning

Thank you

Somewhere on the page there are stars you have to click on so it registers your rating and I am paid.

If you can find them that would be great.

I hope it all goes well.

If there is anything further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor