Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is there an ombudsman dedicated to the vehicle rental

Is there an ombudsman...

Is there an ombudsman dedicated to the vehicle rental industry?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

QLD, the vehicle was less than 4 years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, there was a traffic incident Official documents were made up

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The vehicle involved was a camper van, it was involved in an accident. The rental company showed little interest to help and terminated the contract on the spot. We would like the money back for the period that we were not able to use the vehicle.

3/14/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

there is no ombudsman for rental matters.

can you tell me more about how the documents you claim were not right ?

It is more about if a vehicle rental company can just tear up a contract

all rental records must be kept for 7 years

if you need to make a claim you can subpoena those records as needed in court proceedings

does this answer your question today ?

The company did not want to help and over the phone stated that the contract was ended. Even if that is allowed, therefore the end date changed. All fees, for a longer period were paid upfront and we would like to have the balance refunded.

if you are entitled to a refund you need to raise a complaint

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Preferrably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first.

Because the car was involved in an accident the rental company claims that since the driver was fined they do not need to pay out the balance and they want us to pay for the damage to the car whilst we took out comprehensive insurance
Ok, we will try the official complaint route first.

ok

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer