Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I lent money to someone around 2.5 years ago i have messaged…

Customer Question
Hi i lent money...

Hi i lent money to someone around 2.5 years ago i have messaged them quiet a lot over the years to get the money back but have not been successful would i be able to take them to small claims court to recoup that money

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?

Western australia and i haven’t filed anything yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i don’t think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

was there anything in writing for the loan ?

As long as you can prove that you lent the money to the other party, you can raise a claim in SAT to pursue that debt depending on the size of the debt due. If the debt is large you may need to bring that in the court and not SAT the tribunal.

If you have not done so already, issue a demand for payment in writing to the other party with 21 days to settle. If the money is not paid then commence proceedings.

does this answer your question today ?

it was $680 i have the transfer receipt and i have messages asking him for the money that he has responded to
also can i issue a demand if i don’t have his residential address

ok you can raise the claim in SAT and get your money back

you can issue the demand on Facebook or by email

does that answer your question today ?

ok do i need a lawyer to do that i messaged him today and told him i had contacted a lawyer

you can do this yourself in SAT

sorry to sound dumb but what is sat

this is the new tribunal in WA, it is a low cost option than court that you can run the case yourself

one more question in sat what legislation would i put it under

it is SAT itself

Have I answered your question today

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.