Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If a family member died owing you a debt from a business, am…

Customer Question
If a family member...

If a family member died owing you a debt from a business, am I entitled to be paid out by the estate before the division between the airs which includes myself?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The family is refusing to tell us which solicitor it’s through or show us a copy of the will. We have years worth of tax documentation proving our claim. My Mother sold our gold mine lease which I ran as a business incurring all costs and purchased all the machines etc in accordance with our tax returns and depreciation schedules. My mother sold it walk in walk out and I agreed to her paying me the amount in full after she passed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There’s also been a workers compensation payout and they are refusing to give any information about this either. All they will say is our share is $10000.00 and they will only send a cheque. My Mother died in early May 2017

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/14/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

If You Can Substantiate the Debt then you must send a copy of the debt to the estate executor.

Have they advertised for probate yet?

We live in a different area and have not had any notifications about it

In Queensland as a New South Wales before probate can be applied for the executors through their solicitors advertise and request if there are any creditors that are owed money by the deceased to declare that debt

As you are a creditor you have a right to request the money be paid back.

If the estate does not have any assets then there is very little that you can do.

If you are a beneficiary as well, you are entitled to see the will, and also request details of the estate.

If you believe that the executor is not acting in the best interest of the estate you can seek to file an application with your own solicitor to have them removed.

But you can claim the debt but you must do within time So that it is disclosed the probate.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Good Evening

I am just following up my last post.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards