Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

On 19/4/2017, it was alleged I had a minor traffic accident…

Hi, on 19/4/2017, it...

Hi, on 19/4/2017, it was alleged I had a minor traffic accident in a car park. Being unaware I drove away. There was no damage to my car. In January 2018 the other parties insurer advised I was liable & authorised repair of their clients vehicle, without advising me. The insurer has not provided any concrete details of the incident other than a verbal account. No photos or diagram were presented by the other party. I have advised my insurer of this. Can you please advise if this is standard practice?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The car is 2014 & has been repaired.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The other party contacted their insurers, I contacted mine with a report. I am concerned about authorising repairs without advising me, plus the details of the incident & the elapsed time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything else, thank you

3/13/2018
Leon, Solicitor
Hello I am Leon a solicitor from Sydney and will be assisting you with your question this morning

Good Morning,

unfortunately if a claim is lodged with an insurance company, they are not required to contact the party they believe is at fault before fixing the vehicle.

You have a right to ascertain the details of the accident, and also see photos. If they do not provide them to you, then it appears they may not have enough evidence apart from a verbal statement from the client.

It is good that you have notified your insurer but you have a right to obtain as many details as possible and evidence before you accept any responsibility.

The insurance companies do not have to request your authorisation to have the repairs done. But if they wish to claim the money from you they must be able to provide evidence that you were at fault and if they cannot do this then they would not be successful in any case.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

I have provided all communications with other party insurer to my insurer. Thanks for your advice. Very helpful. Gives me a clear picture how to proceed. Have a good day!

Good Morning

Your insurer will take care of it but make sure you also provide a detailed statement to your insurer and advise you had no damage to your car.

You are very welcome.

Please do not forget to rate my work 5 stars so I can continue to provide the service to those who need it.

All the best.

Regards

Not at the moment. I have enough information to act on thank you

Good Morning

All the best and good luck with it.

If there is anything further please do not hesitate to contact me

Regards

Leon, Solicitor