Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am a N Z citizen but Australian resident having lived here…

Customer Question
I am a...

I am a N Z citizen but Australian resident having lived here for 49 years .I'm 70 and on age pension. I want to know if I marry a Japanese citizen age 60 what are her chances of being able to immigrate to Australia or get Australian residency or how long she can get a visa for. She is currently in Japan and I am visiting her next month and would like to get married. Would it be better to wait for visa or okay to get married first. Kind regards ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all for now thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/13/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

your partner will be able to apply for a partner visa to start with, have you considered this option ?

The Partner visas (subclasses 820 and 801) allow the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia. The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is granted first and lets you stay in Australia while the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) is processed.
On the temporary 820 visa, you can stay until a decision is made on your permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). On the permanent 801 visa, you can stay permanently.

Obtaining the permanent Partner visa is a two stage process. To be eligible for a permanent partner visa you first need to be granted a temporary partner visa. You apply for both the permanent and temporary visas at the same time and pay only one fee. If you are granted the temporary visa, you are eligible to be assessed for the permanent Partner visa (subclass 801) about two years after you lodged your application. You will need to provide further documents for this assessment.

The following will will assist further.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/brin/part

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.