Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Hoping you will be able to give us some advice. We bought a…

Hi hoping you will...

Hi hoping you will be able to give us some advice. We bought a property off the plan in January 2015. After numerous phone calls to the realestate agent every couple of months over the 3 yr period trying to find out when unit is to be completed as we needed to apply for a loan through our self managed superfund. We received a phone call from the real estate agent on the 22 nd December 2017 that settlement is on 29th December 2017. We advised the agent that we have to re apply for the loan as the time period of 3mths has passed and we will not be able to settle by settlement date. We are now getting charged penalty rates amounting to $10,000. Are we able to challenge some of or all of penalty rates as in our contract it states that we should have received 14 days notice in writing. Till this day we still have not received any notification in writing, we only received phone call 7 days before settlement. Notification was emailthe same day we received a phone only. Till today we have not received any notification in writing

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Settlement is on friday this week.

3/13/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

will you be able to settle this Friday ?

disputing the $10,000 will be subject to the wording of the contract which you signed.

there may be away mediate the amount, or there may be ab argument of an unfair contract term in relation to the penalty amount , it will all depend on the wording of the agreement.

we can settle on Friday. It is an normal reiv contract

ok,

the penalties are being claim on what basis, that is what is there breakdown

Penalty is based that we have not settled on the 29th december

have you had your conveyancer assess the breakdown of the 10K yet ?

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone about this important matter, please look, it will help you.

the conveyancer is the one that gave us the final statement of adjust with penalty

did she break down the penalty as to what it is made up of ?

Also did the conveyancer warn you prior to 29 Dec 2017 on the risk of the penalty too ?

We did not have a conveyancer at the time as we were waiting on the real estate agent to tell us when the property will be completed

so prior to 29 Dec 17 and on that day there was no conveyancer ?

We did not have one

ok

when did you engage the conveyancer

ok

when did you engage the conveyancer

31/01/18 after we applied for the loan

ok

what is it that you would like to achieve at this time

Reduce the penalty

ok this you can ask your current conveyancer to try an mediate a break on this situation

there is no guarantee but it is worth trying

what do you think ?

Will do thank you for the advice

you are welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer