Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is there a phone number I can call someone on please re a…

Is there a phone...

Is there a phone number I can call someone on please re a scam from Texas threat3ening to overdraw my credit card

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in NSW Australia, but last week had many threatening calls to shut down my computer unless I pay $1500 to a firm in Texas USA. My husband got scammed by them last year and they still have our bank details,

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/13/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

You can elect a call but that is a further cost but we can continue here.

Have you cancelled your credit card? Did you authorise them to take money from your credit card?

card is cancelled, it is my husbands, he did not know of it last year so paid what they asked $636.25, but now they are threatening him again, with 14 phone calls in one day. He is siting here beside me reading this.
No sorry, I thought that dealing with the banking ombudsman was a free service. What I am trying to do is get this scammer found and reported. I will ring the police instead.
Thank you for your time, I will phone the Banking Ombudsman, I thought that you were from that organisation.

Good Afternoon,

what you are describing is a scam and the threats in order to get you to hand over money.

the financial services ombudsman will not assist you with this issue as it is not a banking problem.

I would suggest that you contact the federal police and report these people and if you have a telephone number, I would also suggest that you contact your telephone provider and have them note the number so that they intervene and calls do not come through to you.

It is horrible to know that there are people out there that prey on the innocent in order to steal their money.

I would also suggest, on the basis that they have your banking details, you make arrangements to see the bank and have them change your account numbers to ensure that these people do not have any access.

It will be a slight inconvenience as you will also have to notify all your direct debits from that account and also any employers deposit money into that account to change where they deposit the monies.

But this is clearly a scam and you should also reported to Scamwatch

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor