Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I sold a parking space in Sydney in 2013 through a

Customer Question
Hi, I sold a...

Hi, I sold a parking space in Sydney in 2013 through a conveyancing company. I recently received a notice from state revenue advising me I owe them $1000 for overdue parking levy in 2013 ? Why has it taken 5 yrs for this to happen and shoudn,t the conveyancing company have settled this ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?

Its in Sydney (Ultimo) and parking space was sold through an agent, I do not have any paperwork on this as I had a cleanup and disposed of it all. Cheers John

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only through conveyancing co in Sydney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/13/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

do you still have copy of the settlement papers ?

John in relation to the invoice that has been issued but the SRO this is an indication that the conveyancer did not settle the adjustment on the property correctly. This is technically negligence by the conveyancer and you may raise a claim against them in this respect.

The amount claimed by the SRO will include penalties and you can seek these amounts against the conveyancer for their breach duty of care.

The recommended approach is to mediate with the conveyancer and if they refuse, then to commence proceedings against them.

The law will protect you in this important matter.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.

Unfortunately I got rid of all paperwork relating to this as I lost a lot of money on it. The conveyancing co would still have documents on it.

the conveyancer by law is required to maintain files for seven years, so you can still raise a claim as required.