Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need some advice regarding a rental property please. In…

Customer Question
Hi there, i need...

Hi there, i need some advice regarding a rental property please.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No n sorry, yes reported

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, my partner (17) & myself (18) viewed a property last week and was rushed through, we were happy with the property, and signed a 3 month lease, we picked the keys up late yesterday afternoon, and went to the property, and found it was absolutely disgusting, more than un habitable, we were told it would be cleaned before we moved in, but it most certainly has not been clean, we've just spoken again to the property manager, who advised us that the owner had cleaned it but the property manager had viewed it yesterday afternoon to do an entry exit, and even herself told us it was dirty, she is now expecting us to move in as is and i dont think they Wil clean it for us, can we legally get out of the lease. thankyou

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/13/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 5 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon,

did you do a pre-possession inspection?

I suggest that you send a formal letter of complaint requesting that it be claimed within 24 hours or you will be taking the matter to QCAT.

Take photos as of the state and condition of the premises and if nothing is done then you can request an order from QCAT the cost of cleaning the premises and also a reduction in rent the period that this property was in the state it was in.

I would also suggest if you have not done a pre-possession inspection that this be done for the whole premises so that you have evidence that the condition it was in when you to possession, as you may have issues when you vacate the premises and the landlord disputes that you are returning in the condition it was in when you moved in.

But you have rights to get a reduction in rent and the cost of cleaning the premises and the law is on your side.

Alternatively you can request that the court terminate the lease and that you receive a refund of your bond and rent paid in advance on the basis of the property was not fit for habitation.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Good Evening

I am just following up my last post.

Have I provided you with an answer to your question or is there something more you wish to ask?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards