Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My name is, I need a document witnessed it is an Enduring…

Customer Question
My name is***** need...

My name is***** need a document witnessed it is an Enduring Power of Attorney, however, our local JP couldn't witness the form. Could you direct me to someone and if there's a cost involved? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

NSW, I have not filed the papers, I just need our signatures witnessed. Enduring Power of Attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can you tell me who i need to see?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/13/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

Are you giving the Power of Attorney?

Good Afternoon

If you are giving the power of attorney you have to take 2 forms of identification with you to have your identity proven.

Under section 19(2) of the Power of Attorney Act it sets out that for it to be enduring a prescribed witness must witness your signature.

Here is what a prescribed witness is

"prescribed witness" means:

(a) a registrar of the Local Court, or

(b) an Australian legal practitioner, or

(c) a licensee under the Conveyancers Licensing Act 2003 , or an employee of the NSW Trustee and Guardian or a trustee company within the meaning of the Trustee Companies Act 1964 , who has successfully completed a course of study approved by the Minister, by order published in the Gazette, for the purposes of this paragraph, or

(d) a legal practitioner duly qualified in a country other than Australia, instructed and employed independently of any legal practitioner appointed as an attorney under the instrument, or

(e) any other person (or person belonging to a class of persons) prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this paragraph.

Here is the section.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act//poaa2003240/s19.html

If you go to the Court to see a registrar or to the public Trustee they should not charge you anything.

A Solicitor or barrister may charge you up to 1 hour for their time.

This can range from $330.00 - $440.00

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Good Evening

I am just following up my last post.

Have I provided you with an answer to your question or is there something more you wish to ask?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards