Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My partner is getting a really raw deal from her ex. He has…

Hi Pearl, My partner...

Hi Pearl, My partner is getting a really raw deal from her ex. He has moved to the US and has left her with debt & has just cancelled his $35/ mth child support.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They started trying to sort it, but her solicitor became very slow & hard to contact. He has been very legally agressive so she has just decided to pay the debts & try to make do without his help

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have just done this spontaneously. You will put me through to a lawyer for an opinioin?

3/13/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

has financial separation proceedings been started yet ?

They started to proceed but were not finalised as i understand. He left Australia bankrupt to live in the US

was your partner named on the loans ?

he had her put them in her name as he had a previous bankruptcy as well. She has been paying the loans off, though another one has surfaced. He had been paying $35/mth child support and paying half the school fees, but he has ceased paying the school fees, and has just sent notification that his contributions to the school fees is now a credit on his child support so he is now paying $0
.

you may be able to negotiate a debt settlement arrangement to pay off all debts at one time on a minimal amount, but this will require careful planning on the same.

have you considered that option

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone about this important matter, please look, it will help you.

Given he is living in the US, (although having to leave regularly to maintain his visa requirements there), is it possible to pursue him there, or is this a difficult?

to hard to pursue.

better to negotiate a settlement

ok - that would also seem difficult as she has no bargaining power.
Thanks for your help

you are most welcome
if you would to talk about how to negotiate I would be pleased to assist

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer