Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My lease expired 6 months ago. How much notice do I need to…

Customer Question
My lease expired 6...

My lease expired 6 months ago. How much notice do I need to give when moving out

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been renting from week to week as the land lord has defaulted on her home loan

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

you need to provide 14 days notice

you need to provide the notice in writing, such as by email.

the following link details the lease notification periods

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/Ending-a-tenancy/Notice-periods-for-ending-a-tenancy

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I thought that without a current signed lease covering the last 5 months that one week notice would be acceptable

as there was an original lease in place, you are technically a month by month tenant, even though the lease expired.