Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have had a problem with my 2009 Holden Sportwagon. The…

I have had a...

I have had a problem with my 2009 Holden Sportwagon. The problem first started in 2012 when the vehicle was still under warranty. The engine indicated a fault missing on all cylinders and loosing power. To remedy I, I had to pull over to the side of the road, turn off the ignition and restart the motor. This problem continued off and on for a number of years. I had the local Holden dealer run a scan on the motor a number of times with no positive answer to what the problem was. Last Oct. 2017 the problem got worse. The local dealer decided to pull the petrol tank out of the vehicle and clean it out along with the fuel lines to the motor. This along with scans cost me in excess of $680. I have contacted Holden Customer Care about and have sent in information seeking compensation as this problem began when it was still in Warranty. One month ago I took the vehicle to Tasmania. It failed so many times we just came straight back to Mt. Martha. I must point out I have been a Holden man for over 50 yrs. but no longer. Since I now have sold the vehicle because of the problems, Holden Customer Care are refusing to pay any compensation. Where do I stand.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

My name is***** live in Mt. Martha Vic. The car is now a little over 8 yrs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Holden Customer Care ( The vehicle is a Holden Sportwagon) 2009 model,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did ask for compensation for losses in trying to find out what was wrong as well as costs incurred in going to Tasmanis and havinf to return immediately because the vehicle causing so much trouble failing all the time, we could not trust it to travel any more.

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Consumer Protection Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I am a pensioner and do not have a lot of money for expensive investigations. What is your feeling on what I have told you?

3/12/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself.

Preferably send the complaint by email.

If you do not receive a reply within 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first.

I have previously outlined the problem in an order of when the problem first started back in 2012 through to what has happened etc. through to about a month ago. Since I had received no satisfaction from the dealer in trying to rectify the problem I sold the vehicle and now Holden Customer Care are not willing to pay me any compensation for expenses involved over the years and up to now.. I will now respond to the again indicating that if I do not receive I will take the issue up with the Small Claims Tribunal.. Is this my option now?
Des Lynch

Yes Des, this is the path to follow.

As long as you have all the emails and other correspondence you will be able to raise a solid complaint.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer
Thank You
Des L.

you are welcome