Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We bought a new boat from a well known dealership. We spent…

Customer Question
Good day, We bought...

Good day, We bought a new boat from a well known dealership. We spent $50.000 on it and have had trouble with it from day 1. The boat broke down 3 times in the last 5 months and I have now returned it’s to the dealership for a refund or a complete new boat. Can you please help me as I don’t want it back as I feel there is something very wrong with it. What are my rights. Thanks for your time. Tienie Rademan Sunshine coast

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

We are in Queensland and it was bought in September 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just want what I paid for and all the mental and financial hardships I have had to go through or going through

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/11/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Tienie

your rights come under the Australian Consumer Law Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and the warranties that applied to the sale of the boat if the goods were not proper for their purpose.

You will need to have the boat professional assesed by another boat builder to provide a report upon which you can then raise a claim at QCAT. This report will be crucial for the daamages amount to be claimed.

The altenative to this action is to bring a claim in the local court for breach contract in relation to the sale of the boat, but this will be subject to the contract itself and its conditons stated on the same.

The law will protect you but the correct path needs the chosen.
Does this answer your question today ?