Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am wondering if I can call the courthouse near me and have…

I am wondering if...

I am wondering if I can call the courthouse near me and have my partners court date bought forward for him at all

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

I was also hoping to get an idea of his chances for bail if I supply you with his charges are you able to give me your personal opinion based on your experience in regards ***** ***** being granted or not

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Qld - he has a sentencing date booked for the 16/4, I was hoping to get it even just a few weeks earlier if possible but I’m not sure how it all works really

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is currently in custody - what do you mean filed or reported? He has been in custody since 30/12/17 so he has had the mentions etc and is booked for long plea sentencing

3/11/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

a court can be changed but only with leave of the court, you will need to file an application to the court for this request

Can you please give me your opinion on the likihood of bail being granted, based on the charges etc below?
***** while disqualified
1 x high range drug driving while disqualified
4 x Obstruct police
1 x dangerous operation of a vehicle
1 x leave the scene of an accident
1 x possession (20 g of meth)By he time of his upcoming court date he would have then served 4 months in custody already, plus he is also applyingfor an ICO with strict conditions.
Do you think, with time served plus a few promising references and the ICO in place that he will be granted bail on the day- he also doesn’t have a history with drugs. Thank you
Amie :)
There are a few other very minor charges as well but I am unsure exactly what they are... the ones listed above are the major ones.
Hello? Is anyone still there

Bail may be granted where certain conditions are met

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone about this important matter, please look, it will help you.

I am unable to make a call at the moment, are you able to elaborate a little as to the specifics on the sorts of conditions the magistrate would expect him to adhere too in order to obtain bail when facing the amount of charges I mentioned earlier

matters you can raise for bail support, include wearing ankle bracelet, home detention curfew, attending the local police station for sign once a week and so on. You could also obtain a clinical psychologist report that you are not a risk to society in support of the application as well if time permits.

Thank you so much, John!!
Off the record ;) what do you imagine his chances are of being granted bail, he will adhere to any and all bail conditions required as a result of being released, he has opted for an intensive corrections order, i understand every case is different, however if you could provide even just a ball park type scenario of what you think he could expect to be handed down during sentencing. Keeping in mind he has served 4 months already

if a clinical psychologist report demonstrates a positive outcome, then there is a reasonable opportunity that it will be considered.

have I answered your important question today ?

John Melis, Lawyer
Please call after 8:30am

number displayed

Thanks for your help John, I will call you as soon as I can.
So I can get started preparing suggested reports in the meantime, are there any other specific conditions that he can put on his bail that may possibly provide a little extra reassurance of his intention for complete compliance? Basically I want him out and he is willing to commit to any conditions if they will help favour his application for release. Thanks again john, you’ve been amazing :)

ok

Also, is he able to request and access a phsyc report while in custody?? Is he entitled to that service?

yes he can but it will need to be an external service

Can you please provide me with the usual procedure for that, do I need to organise it for him?

you will need to arrange it