Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Is there any minimum period of time that I must wait after…

Customer Question
Is there any minimum...

Is there any minimum period of time that I must wait after award of 801 visa before I can apply for citizenship?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I was awarded 801 visa on 24FEB17. No pending applications or petitions.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/11/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

This is John Melis, solicitor.

The 801 partner visa is subject the processing center of the immigration department and this will depend on the level of paperwork that has been submitted with the application

set periods of times will vary subject to the facts of the individual and assessment by the department itself.

in other words the period of time can not be determined but will be more than 90 days.

I have extended a link which details about the 801 visa for review

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/supporting/Pages/820/What-you-can-do-on-perm.aspx

I recommend that if you have submitted your application online directly that you consider appointing an immigration agent to assist if needed.

the immigration process is very good and you can request an update from the immigration department as required by writing to them through your immi account.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this supports me helping the community and thank you for using Just Answer.

the following link from the home affairs site provides further information on the processing time that will assist you

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/801-/Partner-visa-(subclasses-820-and-801)-document-checklist

I was not asking how long I will have to wait for Immigration to process an application. I submitted my application for the 820/801 visa on 27FEB14 and the 820 temporary visa was granted on 01AUG14. Prior to this I was on a 457 visa for 4 years. The permanent 801 visa was subsequently granted on the 24FEB17. I just want to know if I can apply for citizenship 01AUG18 which is 4 years after I was awarded 820 or do I have to wait 4 years after the award of the 801 (i.e. 24FEB2021).

you need to obtain permanent residency PR Visa and from that stream you can apply for citizenship.

the following link will explain this in detail from the home affairs website.

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/citi/pathways-processes/application-options/migrant-with-permanent-residence