Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If a rental tenant signs a lease with an agent, and 1 month…

If a rental tenant...

If a rental tenant signs a lease with an agent, and 1 month later the Landlord takes over all self management of the property; what is the landlord required to do to notify the tenant and is the original lease and condition reports still valid and for how long?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

We are in Victoria, thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not have a copy of a signed condition report from the original agent and now the tenancy is ending after 13 years and the Landlord wants to refer to the unsigned agents condition report, what are my tenancy rights as I have no recieved documents from the landlord in regards ***** ***** from the agent to himself .

3/11/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

They have to notify you that they are now managing the property and to give you details of the bank account where the rent is to be paid and from what date.

This has to be in writing.

They also have to make sure that they Notify the rental Bond Board that they are now managing the property.

Everything that was signed by the tenant when they took on the premises is valid as if it was signed with the landlord.

They are valid until the end of the tenancy.

If the lease is extended then the condition report applies to the new lease as well.

You have a right to get a copy of everything that the Agent has as you are taking over the lease.

Only the report that was signed by both the tenant and the agent is valid.

You as the tenant has a right to have a copy of what you signed and if it is not given to you then you can dispute the validity of the unsigned one and you will need to take this to VCAT.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Good Evening

I am just following up my last post.

Have I provided you with an answer to your question or is there something more you wish to ask?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor