Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

A building development has taken place directly behind my…

A building development has...

A building development has taken place directly behind my back fence. The land area was professionally surveyed and pegged / mark by a registered surveyor. The developer has entered over the dividing line by 0.5m and taken down an existing fence WITHOUT any form of communication. The fence was actually inside the boundary - on my land - and not on the dividing line. I have looked into the Dividing fences Act and am pursuing through the Magistrate's Court the damage they have caused. My inquiry to you is what are the penalties that exist for a builder encroaching upon a neighbour's land and, in the end, causing damage to that property?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Western Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have lodged numerous complaints with the local shire planning department (including meetings face to face with development officers) all ending up in them pretty much saying "not our problem - deal with it civilly. As mentioned above, I've filed with the Magistrate's Court an application for damages and the baliff is to deliver notice to defendant

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What are the courses of legal action / recourse I have open to me to further pursue action against the builder. A side note is that they have caused significant damage in other areas as well as violated a number of Building Act (2011) R-Codes

3/10/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

ok
Hi Leon, I don't really have time for a phone conversation - I have hundreds of photos and I'm in the process for putting together

Good Morning

You can ask him to stop work as he has now encroached into your land and you can show the pegs.

There are no penalties as such.

You can seek that they pay the fill costs of the moving of the fence and any other damage they cause to your land can also be compensated.

You have done the correct thing by filing and you should also be seeking an injunction to stop any further work if the fence is not yet completed.

As you have no contract with the builder you cannot do anything to him. But the owner of the land can sue the builder and also seek that he be penalised for being negligent. Your action is against the owner of the land.

In order to assess your further damages such as damage to gardens etc you should have an independant fencer give you a quote as to what the movement will cause in terms of this. You can then rely on that report.

You should also get an up to date survey showing the encroachment and seek the costs of that survey back in your claim.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. You rating my work 5 stars allows me to continue to provide a service to those who require it.

I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Hi Leon, yes it does make sense. I have had tradesmen over to look at the damage (including a fencer) and the landslip from my side of the fence is significant. The development behind me is actually 10 units. Construction is not yet complete but is very close. (I am not aware if any of these have been sold yet) The development took place over 2 blocks. They were back to back and they were simply both bought and joined into one - allowing developers to build between one street and the next.
In my submission to the MC I have simply written - via their proforma / official documents that I am seeking $4000 compensation for repairs to my land (relaying paving, fence repair) I have only just seen the surveyor's peg in my photos and the marking on the fence next to it re-inforce the fat that it is 0.5m from the dividing line. Therefore, the builder's have entered my property to pull down the fence and damage my land. Including the re-survey, what other areas (eg criminal damage) are the developers liable for?
I should also add that the Shire gave the developer permission to cut down load and insufficient suring up was in place before they cut down.

Good Morning

If they are not supporting your land and putting up a retaining wall this is an issue for them and you may need to get an engineer to give you a report.

The councils are not taking the responsibilities they should as the law now allows for private certifiers

You have to be able to substantiate the losses and the expert evidence will assist you with that.

The damage has to be set out and photos are excellent as they show what happened.

There is no criminal element in this.

They are only liable for damage they have caused and the cost of the repairs.

That is all. Unlike the US you cannot claim for inconvenience.

If your expert says that there is an error made by council you can sue them as well for negligence.

I hope this makes it clearer and all the best.

Thank you for your rating and if there is anything further please do not hesitate to come back to me.

Regards