Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was contracted tracked to work during on of the employees…

Customer Question
Hi, I was contracted...

Hi, I was contracted tracked to work during on of the employees time of maternity leave. However they confirmed she didn't return and told that I can apply for a permanent role in March this year. I was let go on the 4th of March without a reason and my role was advertised on the same day I was told they would not extend my contract. I was also bullied by my supervisor to not take time of to attend interviews. I was wondering if there is any type of compensation for this or is it not worth debating? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?

I am in NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had told my Manager at the time, but she just defended my supervisor. Nothing was reported and I no longer work at this place

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This supervisor has stepped up to my old managers role at the time. The supervisor and HR broke the news that my contract wouldn't be extended. I feel that the supervisor didn't like me and thats why they didn't extend my contract. I was told I am a good employee by my manager and colleagues. Most of the employees that work there told me that this was planned as one employee's sister was told to apply for my role in March by the supervisor. I've been very stress and this has effected my health. Thats all I am going to say at this point.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/10/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

did the employer issue you a termination notice ?

no they only told me verbally. I asked them to provide me with a separation certificate, but I haven't received one as yet

did your employment contract have an end date, or was it open ?

I checked my original contract and there is no end date. It was my understanding from the contract that it was a permanent role after 6 month probation, but I could have misunderstood the contract wording. There is no end date on the original. On the extension contract which I received in October last year from HR has an end date of the 4th
the 4th of March
See attached original and extended contract

ok

in this case your right our recourse against the employer is limited, as term of the engagement was set at 4 Mar.

however, you may be able to negotiate some form of settlement if you consider there was bullying conduct.

have you thought about this option ?

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone about this important matter, please look, it will help you.

please use a valid card and the call system will activate for you

It won't let me proceed to discuss further. An error comes up asking me to edit my card details which I have done 3 times now and the card details are correct and I have money in my account to pay the $7, so I don't know what to do from here
ok I just checked my account and Just Anwer took $77 out of my account

may be you can try a different card if you have, as bank security sometimes blocks the card not because of you by the system

that is all I had

I will ask support to help you, as I do not have access to your account.

I have read your two agreements and ready to discuss the same with you

I thought I only had to pay $5 to get an answer, but now I've paid $77 and you want another $7. I shouldn't have gone to this site. I just needed advice and I don't have any money now.I guess I'll wait to hear from Support team.

they will contact you shorty

Sheralyn, can you try selecting he call service again.