Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Tenant has not paid rent for more than 6 months in south…

Customer Question
Tenant has not paid...

Tenant has not paid rent for more than 6 months in south Australia,

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

South Australia,I have placed a warrant to distrain on the door,,, and changed the lock at the same time, tenant can still access area, was it ok to have changed the lock/

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have sent copy of warrant and inventory to tenants address, this is the last day of the 5 day period for payment, have not received any section 22 notifications

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/9/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

did you get an order from SCAT to evict the tenant ?

don't know anything about scat, sa legislation says don't terminate lease before issuing warrant, that is why im asking about changing the look upon issuing the warrant

you need to seek an order to remove the tenant from the premises, otherwise will turn the matter around against you and seek a trespass claim and restraining order and AVO against you the landlord

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone about this important matter, please look, it will help you.

this is a commercial tennant

Same point you need to get an order.

or

Issue a statutory demand and wind up the company,

this action will usually make the tenant act promptly as they do not want to be wound up.

ok thanks.

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars and thank you for using Just Answer.