Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been employed with the same employer for 11 years but…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have been employed with the same employer for 11 years but on a casual rate as a practice manager for a dental surgery our pay is from the australian dental ass.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My Dentist ans employer sayes I am not entiteled to long service leave and pay is this correct

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No have just questined him about it as i can't find any thing in writing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I get on very will with my employer just need to now this for my self then if I am entitled to it I will talk to him

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

Casual employees are entitled to:

• a higher hourly pay rate than equivalent full-time or part-time employees. This is called a 'casual loading' and is paid because they don't get benefits such as sick or annual leave
  • 2 days unpaid carer's leave and 2 days unpaid compassionate leave per occasion
  • unpaid community service leave.

Some casual employees work regular hours or the same days each week for a long period and become 'long term casuals'.

Long term casuals stay as casual employees unless they formally change to full-time or part-time employment. They don't automatically become permanent employees, even if they are called 'permanent casual'. They get their casual entitlements regardless of how regularly they work or how long they work for.

After 12 months of regular employment, and if it’s likely the regular employment will continue, a casual employee can:

• request flexible working arrangements
  • take parental leave.

They don't get paid leave or notice of termination, even if they work regularly for a long time.

Does this answer your question today ?

you raise in your question that you are a practice manager, therefore your employment contract will be an important part of the assessment to determine your rights