Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How do I get my work cover insurance company to respond to…

How do I get...

How do I get my work cover insurance company to respond to me via email, letter in relation to my claim. I have engaged a law firm to deal with my case and even the law firm after 3 attempts via letter and phone this insurance company does not respond. I even sent mail registered mail to my case manager and the general manager with no response.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I was about to do that today. put in a formal complaint.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I went out on work cover in January 2015 and resigned from my employment due to PTSD one month short of the 130 weeks. i relocated to Tasmania to recovery from my ordeal. i had asked if the insurance company would pay for my medical bills but no response. i have not been in receipt of any income from the insurance company since june 2017. I withdrew my small amount of superannuation which was under $90,000.00 and retired to concentrate on my mental health. the insurance company seems to want to know how much superannuation i received and as i have not been in receipt of work cover money i was advised that they didn't need to know which i informed the insurance company of this.

3/9/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

what was the last lawyer's letter ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I spoke to my lawyer via phone today and she has said she has sent 3 letters to the insurance company with the last being sent early March requesting a response to uplift the suspension on my claim.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no money to be able to speak with you.

There next step you need to instruct your lawyer is to commence proceedings with the insurer to force an outcome otherwise the matter will drag on extensively.

this is ver important step.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone, please look, it is special to get a seconds lawyers opinion and will help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually have $3.00 in my account I just spent $5.00 on communicating with you I am so sorry

understand

I am very please to help you in this forum.

One aspect you should do is ask for a copy of your file notes from the lawyer you are using to see if they are actualyl following up properly with the insurer.

this will tell you if there is a failing of action by the lawyer

insurance companies need to be pushed to act as they are big organisations.

have you considered this point ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I was not aware of this.

Sometimes the problem is not with insurer but how the matter is handled.

so I recommend that you as client / boss of the lawyer have a closer look at the file work

you are paying the lawyer to work for you, so you have a right to know exactly what is going on as a first step.

there are many aspects you can consider in getting action on your matter.

happy to discuss in detail when you have time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What am I to look for if the lawyer isn't doing their job. My lawyer had written to the insurance company in Jan 2018 then Feb 2018 and again March 2018. But the insurance company is not responding.

when you get the file notes, was there any calls to the insurer to discuss the matter at a preliminary stage and at what level.

there is not point sending a lawyers letter hitting someone if there is no pre telephone call first to discuss the issues

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My lawyer told me today that she was having a lot of difficulties speaking with them and was being transferred to different sections with no success. I believe the letter it to uplift the suspension because the insurance company does not believe that my mental health/PTSD has stabilised.

ok have you had another clinical specialist report done yet to support your position ?

your lawyer should have recommended this step as it is important

have you considered this option

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I moved to Tasmania in July 2017 I engaged a new Doctor around about Nov 2018 and the doctor wrote to my lawyers stating on his discussion and observation of my health that I had stabilised.

what you need to do now is have clinical psychologist issue there report as this will fix the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Do I get my new doctor to give me a referral to a clinical psychologist?

yes this is the best way to do as it then links all matters together

have I answered your important question today ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you very much for your time and assistance

you are most welcome

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars as this supports me helping the community, and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer
John Melis, Lawyer