Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

If two business partners, 50/50 shareholders, are in

Customer Question
If two business partners...

If two business partners, 50/50 shareholders, are in disagreement, how can a dispiute best be resolved, after talks between the parties have been exhausted? There are no shareholder agreement in place unfortunately, so CAN one party force the other to buy one out?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, nothing, at this stage it is a simple disagreement on a process, where one feels like walking away, if the other forces this decision through, which is unacceptable to the other party

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That should be it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/9/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

do you have mediation clause in the constitution ?

The company has implied rules under the Corporations Act 2001, and if there is not adopted constitution, the implied constitution under the Act can be used for the mediation process.

The first step is to engage a lawyer to act for the parties in relation to the dispute and if that cannot resolved amicably, the next step is to commence proceedings in the Supreme Court. This court is the one that has jurisdiction to determine corporation disputes.

The best outcome is to resolve the matter amicably with the assistance of a lawyer.

Please tell me more about the dispute in question.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars and thank you for using Just Answer.