Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a person who is renting a room and sharing with me.

Customer Question
I have a person...

I have a person who is renting a room and sharing with me. I’m the owner and I’ve asked to leave and he has up to Monday and refuses to leave. We do have a written agreement stating I will rent him a room but there no time frame accept he will give two weeks notice if wants to leave. There is mention of how notice I need to give him. Now he is threatening and trying to blackmail but saying he will sue me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I went to the police but they said they can’t help

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He threatened me and that is the reason I wanted him out

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/8/2018
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 5 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Morning

Because there is no time frame and there is no breach you have to give him 2 months notice on a form 12 in QLD

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/Ending-a-tenancy/Notice-periods-for-ending-a-tenancy

He can take you to QCAT if you do not give him the correct notice.

You can download the form them the bottom of this next link

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Forms-and-publications/Forms/Forms-for-general-tenancies/Notice-to-leave-Form-12

If he is in breach then you can reduce the notice period and you an see the time you have to give based on the breach.

You have a periodic lease because there is no end date.

If you fell threatened and that he may cause you harm you can consider taking out a peace and good behaviour order.

You have to apply for that in Court

http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/going-to-court/applying-for-protection

But you have a right to end the lease but you have to give him the correct notice.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Good Evening

I am just following up my last post.

Have I provided you with an answer to your question or is there something more you wish to ask?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards