Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

The address on my tenancy agreement is incorrect and im

Customer Question
The address on my...

The address on my tenancy agreement is incorrect and im looking to move out, can i break the agreement with no penalty as the agreement is for an address that doesnt exist?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/8/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

how long do you have on the current lease ?

it was a 12 month lease signed on 7/8/2017

the wrong address will not change the situation of the legal obligation.

you may be able to break the lease without penalty with there is a serious health problem with the property or it is unsafe to occupy.

where you need to break the lease, you will incur a break fee

the best option is to negotiate with the landlord as this often works out well

would you like to consider this option ?

im willing to negotiate but it will make me feel a lot more confident in negotiation if i understand whether or not the agreement is legally valid or not. If they were to enforce the lease it will cost an extra $8000+

ok, how about we talk on the phone

I have extended a special offer, please look, it will help you

no im ok thanks

ok

Have I answered your important question today ?