Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Our Landlord (Runcorn Realty) has just this week changed the…

Hi Pearl, Our Landlord...

Hi Pearl, Our Landlord (Runcorn Realty) has just this week changed the lodgement or payment of our rent - he states everybodies' rent arrangements.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

He has stated that he now wants us to BPay which will cost us $2.75 per BPay transaction - currently we don't pay anything for this service. Or we can pay be credit card/debit card and there is a 1.45% surcharge on the transaction from MasterCard/Visa , or a 3% transaction on an international Visa/MasterCard or a 1.7% transactions surcharge for Premium corporate cards roa 2.53% surcharge on AMEX or DinersClub. We can also pay by cheque or an automatic debit which I am uncomfortable with simply because I manage my money well enough and this cost to the tenant is $2.50 per transaction. I would have thought they would have to by law, offer the tenants a method of payment of rent that doesn't incur fees if we are capable of doing so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm unsure of your question? when you say reported - reported to the Rental Tribunal authority or with your office?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really just clarifying if they can force us to pay rent in this manner where we incur fees or if we can ask them to give us the details of a bank account that we can then eDeposit at the correct times.

3/8/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

if the fees were not diclosed in lease agreement or a covering letter to the lease agreement prior to you signing the lease, such conduct is misleading and you can raise a claim under the Australian Consumer Law for this negative action.

do you have any correspondence in relation to the rent that concerns fees prior to the lease engagement or that time, such as emails?

Hi John,
When the new lease was made available for signature back in November there was nothing it regarding any fees. We didn't pay fees through the previous BPay solution that we currently operate under.
We have been told it has to be in place by 15th March or we will incur late penalty fees as this is the NEW method for payment of rent.

ok

did the agent give you any other option to pay the rent ?

Only options are:
Cheque
Money Order
Automatic Set and Forget Direct Debits from either Credit Card (+1.45% extra charge)
1.7% extra surcharge for All corporate or premium Visa/MasterCards
2.53% for Amex and DinersClub
3% for overseas credit cards
Alternatively from a Direct Debit from my bank account which I don't like as I think it's insecure as there is a third party now involved and that fee is $2.50!
It has been a business decision by them to use a "RentalRewards" program and the "Rental Rewards" program issues the fees that are, according to the Landlord, payable by the lessee.
We were given a printed card that said we could use BPay to pay our rent and that was without fees. Nothing in the November 2017 lease stating there would be fees involved in future rental payment arrangements.

Ok

I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone, please look, it will help you.

John Melis, Lawyer

numbers displayed