Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Our home and contents is insured with NRMA. We have a fire…

Customer Question
Our home and contents...

Our home and contents is insured with NRMA. We have a fire in our poolshed five weeks ago. NRMA removed the fire debris. They they send a forensics person to determine cause of the fire. She was unable to determine the cause. She did however take some photos and look at the area. We were told that the forensic report would take between 5 and 10 working days. We have rung NRMA constantly trying to find out the status of our claim. NRMA say they have not received the forensic report. Despite assuring us of email updates, we have not received anything. No one from NRMA rings us back and we are still none the wiser.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, the claim was lodged the following day. NRMA have been provided with a report from the firies.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
3/8/2018
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

i understand the stressful time you are facing with the follow up with NRMA

insurance procedures can be lengthy and in some cases, where there is no need for urgent accommodation the process can take anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks depending on the claim.

every policy for insurance states the words 'reasonable'in respect to time limits.

it is normal that forensic to issue there report could take up to 21 days.

I am sure NRMA will process your claim promptly

It is just a matter of waiting at the present time.

where they take excessive time you can raise a claim.

The law will protect you in this case.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars and thank you for using Just Answer.