Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Am hoping you may help me. My mother has verbally, in a

Good Afternoon, am hoping...

Good Afternoon, am hoping you may help me. My mother has verbally, in a recorded interview stated that I have Bi Polar Syndrome. This is not true, I have cut off ties with her because she is defrauding people and I do not wish to be associated with her. Is there anything I can do about her claims. I have a therapist who can attest to my mental health re Bi Polar. Thank you for your time

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Recorded as in proof of her statements?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My mother has a long criminal history of fraud and deception

3/8/2018
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I am reviewing your question and will reply again in a moment.

Good Afternoon

How did you find out and has this been given to third parties?

Good Afternoon Leon, I found a recorded interview my mother participated in through a university. The recording is available on the internet

Good Afternoon

It may be defamation and if your reputation is affected you may have a claim for compensation.

Is it on the university website?

available for free download via the library
Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants Collection at the National Library of Australia, ORAL TRC 6200/71 “Yoonthalla Close interviewed by Anne Monsour”,

Good Afternoon,

I would suggest that you firstly see a solicitor in Queensland for them to send all the correspondence that is required.

He will need to write to the University and advise them that the information that was given to them by your mother is false and defamatory and that if they do not remove the recording from the website you will hold them personally liable for any compensation for your reputation being affected.

They will also they need to write your mother at the same time, advising her that the information she has provided to the University in the recording is false and defamatory. There will need to be a request for her to retract comments and also issue a formal apology.

If you have suffered a loss of reputation where you are being shunned or it has impacted on your work etc then you may have a claim for compensation from the court.

You should take the recording to the solicitor, so they are aware of what has been said and what the actual False information is.

The following link is information about defamation in Queensland for you to read.

https://www.gotocourt.com.au/civil-law/qld/defamation/

The following link is to the Law Society of Queensland for you to find yourself a solicitor the practices in the area

https://www.qls.com.au/Home

it is a serious matter and you have a right to have the recording removed and a formal apology at the very least from your mother.

As I have said if you have suffered any financial loss lost your reputation you can sue for compensation from your mother, and if the University does not remove the recording from their library website you can claim from them as well.

If you wish to have a phone call to discuss this in more detail please elect a call or I can send you a request.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Let me know if I have answered your question today.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Thank you very much

Good Afternoon

You are very welcome.

Please do not forget to rate my work 5 stars so I can be paid.

Regards

Thank you

Regards