Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a residential tenant legal question, Victoria, Yes,

I have a residential...

I have a residential tenant legal question

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, non-urgent repairs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have filled for non-urgent repairs for a property I rent for 6 months with little response from my realestate agent. They contacted me yesterday and gave me 3 days notice to vacate the property for repair work that is to be carried out for 3 weeks. I have to pay $2500 to vacate with no compensation from the landlord. Can they even do this? I am a very good tenant and have been living in the property for 6 years and keep it clean, never missed rent payment

2/27/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

the agent act to request that you vacate asap with no compensation mentioned is not right.

you should immediately request compensation from the agent and where they refuse, file an urgent application with VCAT under the residential te***** *****st.

you have a right to be protect under the Residential Tenancy Act and what has been described by you is a breach of the covenant.

the law will protect you in this matter.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don’t forget to rate me 5 stars and thank you for using Just Answer.

Ok - what happens if the builders turn up on Thursday and I haven't vacated the property? I will be homeless. Is there anything I can do to stop it?

you need to contact the agent as soon as possible and bring to the agents attention the right of compensation from the landlord.

the agent most likely will try to refuse the claim, but this is where you can file an urgent application at VCAT.

the only legal way to get you to move from the house is to obtain an order from VCAT for your removal.

Thanks for your help - which form for VCAT do I fill out?

when are on VCAT site just select the residential te***** *****st, and the forms will show and you can complete the application online.

John Melis, Lawyer