Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have just paid Origin Energy $750 for installation of a…

I have just paid...

I have just paid Origin Energy $750 for installation of a new inverter for my solar panels. This is my fourth one in five years. I entered into the contract with Origin in August 2012 that purchase was interest free and paid off over three years; the ideal being that they would virtually pay for themselves in this period. Unfortunately inverters one, two and three had to be replaced during this period and were replaced free of charge. The faults were only noticed when I had a "nil" solar input on my quarterly account. What I did not realise that Origin was not replacing these inverters with new ones, just "refurbished" ones, the last one not lasting more than four months.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My complaint is that I feel Origin has not held up their side of the original agreement as I was not informed that inverters under warranty would not be replaced with new ones. I have also not received any where near the amount of rebates that were suggested in the original contract. I am a widow and now unable to work due to disability and really cannot afford this additional cost plus the unsatisfactory amount of rebate....$1,200 over five years is not good enough. Jan Freeman

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

All my details are on file with Origin and I have copies of all account and dates of reports.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there anything else I need to let them know? I do not want to sound like a whinger, but after the initial outrage at finding out the inverters were replaced with sub-standard ones, I feel I have been duped and also have not received a reasonable saving on my electricity bills.

2/20/2018
John Melis, Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne. Thank you for using Just Answer, and I will answer your question today, and ask various questions to narrow the issues in your post raised.

have you issued a formal complaint yet ?

No. Only told them of my dissatisfaction at last phone call to get someone out to repair them. Did not know I had to do that directly to them. Thought this was the way to go.

What you need to do is to write a formal complaint to the company. This complaint needs to be in a chronological order detailing what is the issue and what action you have taken to try and rectify the matter.

The complaint needs to be in a chronological order with numbered points 1, 2, 3, etc.

The complaint needs to have detailed what you need fixed and for a time limit of a minimum of 14 days requet to apply.

The complaint then needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department. Make sure you keep a copy for yourself. Preferrably send the complaint by email.

The complaint needs to be sent to the dispute resolutions department.

If you do not receive a reply withint 14 days issue a follow up complaint to the first complaint issued.

If no response is received then it is time to commence an action in the local tribunal.

Would you like to try this option first ?

Have I answered your question today ?

But as at today, I don't need anything fixed as I have just paid for a new inverter. Was just looking for compensation really.
Do I still put in a complaint?

yes you can, the utility may provide some form of compensation even minor for the inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks, ***** ***** it a go!

you are welcome.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars and thank you for using Just Answer.

John Melis, Lawyer